Tuesday, April 7, 2009

My Mom Loved Lilacs & Roses.....













Betty Lou Souza
September 24, 1929 - April 7, 2008

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side
Spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean.
She is an object of beauty and grace.
I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.
Then someone at my side says: “There, she is gone!”
Gone from my sight, that is all.

She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side and she is just as able to bear the load of living freight to her destined port.
Her diminished size is in me, not in her.

And just at the moment when someone at my side says:

“There, she is gone!” there are other eyes watching her coming,

and other voices ready to take up the glad shout:

“Here she comes!”
And that is dying.
-Henry Van Dyke


I miss you mom.

6 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a loving and precious memory of your mom. I do understand, I miss my mom everyday and think of her everyday. I always feel that my thoughts are such a tribute to the wonderful person she was and how much happiness and joy she brought me. I'm sure your mom was the same. Beautiful flowers and wonderful tribute. Hugs, Marty

Silvia said...

aweeee, such beautiful words .
yes great tribute to mom and gorgeous flowers,she sure was a beautiful lady ..
i feel kind of sad now ,wasn't to nice to mom this morning when she called me,how stupid and selfish of me..
thank you for make realize how lucky i'm to have her...i better call her back right now
silvia..

Sue said...

What a lovely, lovely tribute to your mother. If those flowers are in your garden right now, I am so extremely jealous! All the best, Sue

Joy Tilton said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Mom and the analogy of seeing her slip over the horizon to be met by others on the other side is comforting. My Mom is now in nursing care, suffering from dementia.Come visit me at http://grannymountain.blogspot.com
Joycee

Peter Gutierrez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A rootdigger said...

Wow, your pics are so pretty. Love that lilac and lavender roses with touch of soft yellow. Lilacs are wonderful, no doubt about it. Nice tribute to your mom.